[at-l] trip planning - part 1...

these are some responses to a lister.  thought i'd give the whole list a shot at these.  part 2 is on the way...

> I'm going to be hiking with my girlfriend

ask for advice and anecdotes from the list on this.  it will be a challenge.  you may end up not liking each other much of the time.  it will be a test of your relationship.  keep in mind that your needs and her needs will be drastically different.  make a pact not to belittle each other about hiking pace/style.  don't plan on hiking together every inch of the way.  maybe plan on rising and eating breakfast together, then plan on meeting for lunch, then plan on meeting at your daily destination.  you must treat his whole ordeal (yes, it will be an ordeal) as a job, not a vacation...

> We're both 25, both a little out of shape but reasonably healthy. We've been doing some stair-climbing and some local hiking in the mountains to try to get more in shape (packless so far).

you will be shocked at the pain and fatigue you will experience, especially in the beginning.  i actually enjoy the feeling at the end of a hard day.  the pain/fatigue are well earned, so revel in it...

> We are going to be hiking north, starting around March 20th hopefully. No real end date set...

this is a perfect time to start.  plan on very cold nights...

> We're telling everybody that we will be done around the end of Aug, beginning of Sept. Later, if necessary, would be fine.

if you have a flexible time frame for ending, that is great.  five months will generally not be enough time to finish.  six months is realistic.  don't finish labor day weekend.  the crowds are ridiculous at baxter...

> We've decided to try to have a good time with the hike and not try to push things or be too goal oriented.  I hope, like lots of people, to finish the trail... but it really isn't number one priority... just #2 priority =)

big lesson here: don't bow to any peer pressure.  there will be many macho gung-ho type-a personalities out there, with a tendancy to go-go-go, and they will pull anyone along that is a "follower".  there will be lots of followers out there.  please plan on being independent, do your own thing, hike your own hike...

> From what I've read, 10 miles a day for the first month is a good rule... I was planning to start out that way for the first couple weeks and maybe step it up to 12-14 miles in the latter two weeks. Not really sure how many miles/day after that point, maybe 15-16?  Starting at Amicalola Park...

I advocate taking three whole weeks to get to fontana.  this would seem to be painfully slow, but your body needs the time to adjust.  your body may want to go faster/farther, but don't give in.  then, after fontana, start following what your body tells you...

> I'd like to try to keep motel stays at a minimum, but I expect to have a few as we feel necessary... I'd rather stay at lower cost alternatives. We'll probably be eating at restaurants a bit as well.  I was thinking about a day off each week... perhaps that is too many?

this will become what it becomes, but pay attention to her needs.  men can go a long time without hygiene concerns, women can't.  if she wants to go off-trail, do not argue...

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.