[at-l] Re: Corn Dodgers...

William Neal <nealb@midlandstech.com> wrote:

>>[Yes we do, but not often and mostly it's "gals" listening to receipes on
radion and then TV who introduced it]

You said it, I didn't!

>>[Mainly we save it for important stuff like ICED TEA.  If you can't pour it
on pancakes, it ain't sweet enough to be "real" Southern ICED TEA]

I don't like really sweet iced tea.  It makes my teeth hurt.

>>[Actually Southern Cooking as it's done today was a combination of Slave
cooking (who had a lot to do with pork "bobbyque") and poor farmers cooking.

Yes, but it was still women doing the cooking for the most part.  BBQ was an adoption of a cooking method borrowed from Native Americans.  Slow cooking meat over hot coals for hours and hours and hours was a NA method.  In most places they buried the meat.  Europeans brought pork with them and thus was born a Southern religion.  The reason that the best BBQ was made by blacks and primarily black men, was because barbecuing is hard work and it was done for about three hundred years mostly by slaves.

I should have said the other day that Southern culture is an intertwining of European, African and Native American culture, as it is in most other places throughout the Americas.

Curtis