[at-l] I'm a trail shoe failure

That jives with what I heard last year, too; one, simple observation:
For the majority of mankind's time on this earth, and for the majority
of earth's citizens to this very day, the same bare feet that the good
Lord gave us all do just fine for all kinds of walking and running -
local and long distance . . . a good argument can be made that the whole
hiking boot/shoe fitting thing is really more about your foot rebelling
against such onerous confines, than about finding the "perfect fit"
[which assumes your feet WANT to be in the proverbial glass slipper!]
Foot coverings certainly are necessary, if nothing else than to deal
with temperature extremes, but I sometimes wonder whether or not the
majority of AT foot problems are caused by the foot coverings
themselves, as opposed to the inherent pounding of the walk . . .

thru-thinker