[at-l] maildrops and trip planning...

i've always advocated maildrops for long distance hiking.  during my soon-to-be 1045 mile southbound hike (penmar to springer), i have 31 drops planned.  the most food i will carry will be 4 days, but generally only two or three days.  with careful planning and with a responsible maildroper (kahley is doing my drops), this many drops can work well...

i read posts about people planning on carrying 6 or 8 or more days of food.  in my opinion, this is not necessary.  i would rather walk/hitch to get a drop than carry the weight...

when planning for daily mileage, consideration must be taken for getting to/from drop points.  it is just another factor when planning.  just like i had to plan for the recharging of the camcorder batteries, which will require overnights in the vicinity of an electrical outlet every few days...

i'll be sure to talk about the maildrops when posting journal entries to the list during the hike...

pittsburgh

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.