[at-l] Food packing quesrtions

In a previous post, I listed some of my favorite hiking food, but the
reality is that on the AT this year, my food is going to be a lot
simpler. Boil in bag mostly.  Here's my recipe for the meat base of most
of my meals. I call it Kibble because it reminds me of cat food -
visually. It's good enough to eat right out of the bag and seasoned
enough to stand up to the starchs and veggies of my meals. The flour in
the recipe seems to stabilize the fats and extend shelf life a bit. It
also makes a gravy. Shelf life is about 2-3 months in a cool dark place;
forever in the freezer.
Kibble (Dried Hamburger Plus)

1 lb. hamburger
1/2 c. minced onion (or 2 Tbsp. dried minced onion)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. worstershire sauce
1/2 tsp. italien herbs
1-1/2 Tbsp. beef bouillion granules
2 Tbsp. flour

Brown hamburger with onion until completely cooked. Drain off juice and
grease. Add garlic powder, pepper, worstershire sauce, italien herbs,
and bouillion. Stir thouroughly and cook for another few minutes.
Sprinkle flour over meat and blend, scraping pan, until all flour has
browned.

Spread in shallow pans and dry in a 140 F oven with the door cracked
until completely dry.

Makes about 1-1/3 cup dry, depending on the fattiness of the hamburger

Cheesy Beef Hash

2/3 cup Kibble (dried hamburger)
2/3 cup dried hasbrowns
1/4 cup dried vegitables
1/4 cup instant cheese sauce mix
1 Tbsp whole milk powder

At home: Mix everything in a 1-qt. Ziploc freezer bag.
On trail: Add 1 cup boiling water. Stir. Tuck into hat to keep warm.
Wait 15 minutes.

Squirrelgirl