[at-l] Another Thru ATtempt

Well fellow, femellow, and smashmellow listers,
As many on the list know, my planned thru-hike didn't go as expected
last year, so I figured, what the heck, why not give it another shot!
So, in 20couple days I'll again be standing on top of Springer looking
north. My start date, March 2nd. again, same as last year. Many ask, why
so early? Well, thats easy enough to answer, I love the cold weather,
not to mention I need an early start because I'm so slow! Also, I don't
do so good in the heat of summer(it's a Lyme thing), so this year I'm
planning to hike north to MD., stop at home for a few months, then head
to ME. and work my way back home in the cooler weather. Now, if for some
reason the heat of summer doesn't affect me like it has done in the
past, I'll just keep going north. Either way, with a little bit of luck,
and a lot of determination, I'll get where I'm going.
This past year has been a bitch for me. One year ago, I was going nutz
with all the preparations of a thru-hike. I didn't see how it was
possible to get everything ready in time to leave. But as always, things
worked out and off to GA. I went. Of course, I didn't stay there too
long, after twisting a knee on Blood Mt., I found myself back home.
Needless to say, I was very down in the dumps. But, as things improved I
found myself in a 50yard sprint with my 10year old. Just had to show off
I guess! Well, the first race went great, even tied her, so figuring the
knee was healed, I dared her to another race. This one didn't go so good
and after about 25yards I found myself laying on the track with a busted
shoulder, pulled hamstring, and a very painful knee. So much for feeling
young again! And, if this wasn't enough, my Lyme decided to kick up and
put me in bed most of the summer. Maybe "kicked up" is the wrong words,
it darn near killed me! There were more then a few days and nights that
Landslides wanted me to go the ER, fearing that I wouldn't see tomorrow.
But as always I jumped back with only one thing on my mind, a long hike
to clear my head and rebuild my spirit.
So, here we are again, Springer Mountain is calling! It kinda just gets
in your gut as something ya gotta do!!
And, last but not least, Landslides will be starting with me, for about
a week, to celebrate our 20th. anniversary, now thats cool! Although, me
thinks she just wants to make sure I get over Blood Mt. and past Neels
Gap this year!! :^))
Best wishes to you and yours, have a happy hiking season!
Hope to see many of you out there!
Fur.....
(web site coming to a monitor near you in a week or so! Feel free to
follow along!)