[at-l] Which backpack?

The key is that you are worried. You are doing the correct thing in
renting and comparing, even if it isn't quite the same as a long
distance hike.

The backpack should be among the last pieces of gear you
consider/acquire. There are numerous benefits of each type of pack,
although a poorly fitted huge pack will be miserable, regardless of the
type. You will sweat while hiking and burning through calories, even if
you slackpack. Some packs may leak and allow some sweat through the
material, although that is unusual. All packs catch on branches and
brush, and all balance is tenuous.

But that is part of the challenge and part of why gear is far less
important than how you deal with the worry.

Bill...