[at-l] Fw: Corn Dodgers...was food packing, fruitcake, NAFTA, the constitution, Magna Carta, Genesis

Corn Dodgers

In a mixing bowl, combine:

2 cups plain white cornmeal
1 scant teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon bacon grease

Slowly stir in enough boiling water (about 2 cups) to make a mush that =
is thoroughly moistened but thick enough to hold its shape.  Not runny, =
in other words, but not stiff either.  Drop tablespoonfuls of the batter =
onto an ungreased cookie sheet, shape into rounded patties, and bake on =
the middle rack of a preheated 450-degree oven for 30 minutes or more, =
or until the dodgers are light brown, crisp and crunchy on the outside.  =
 Recipe makes 10 to 12 dodgers about as big around as a pint jar lid.  =
Serve with turnip greens, collards or cabbage, or better yet pack a =
rucksack full of 'em and go hiking.

This recipe is from John Egerton's "Side Orders, Small Helpings of =
Southern Cookery & Culture".  He won the National Cookbook Award for his =
manuscript of love called "Southern Food."  Perhaps the best book every =
written on the subject.  A marvelous accomplishment of both cookery and =
the history of food in the South.  More than just a cookbook.

Cooking With Balls

Fruitcake packs well, that's how we got from "food packing" to =
"fruitcake".=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20