From: "Alexis Lee Acken" <ackenglass@hotmail.com>
To: "AT-L" <at-l@hack.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Eyeglasses

Those of you who, like me, are blind as a bat with out glasses or contacts,
do you generally prefer glasses or contacts on the trail?  How about hygiene
issues for contacts?  Are they worth the hassle?  I've only done
weekend/long weekend hiking trips and generally I just deal with my glasses
because it's always seemed to me that my fingers aren't really clean enough
to put in my eyes without the convienence of a sink.  However, I always wear
my contacts on day trips and generally prefer them.  Am I just being silly?
And which is lighter ;) (considering that you need the lens solution and
case).  Maybe I should just break the bank and get laser surgery.  I'm
planning a thru hike in 2003 and am already obsessing over silly stuff like
this.

Alexis