[at-l] Kinda cool.... Parapackers!

What ever happened to the Parapackers? :O)
from the archives:
Hot Spring, NC  Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce  d/b/a "The Appalachian Trail" announced
today thatthe 50 little parapackers had been overwelmingly selected to be the
firstAvery Trail Monitors.  Joined at the noontime press conference was an
ever stalwart and churlyMilo Garcia together with the parapackers all dressed
in their littleknicker outfits and beaming from ear to ear.  Each parapacker
was pushing amini-sized measuring wheel as they weaved back and forth and
aroundWingfoot and Milo as the audience cheered. "I'm a Monitor-o-love!"
shoutedLittle Hector as he waved to the  crowd.     "Ssssshhh! you funny
little parapacker" said Milo as Wingfoot approachedthe podium escorted by The
Avery Guard (Copyright 2000, Dan W. Bruce) allsporting their matching Bolle
sunglasses.     "Greetings  friends, fellow hikers, and uh...uh is that a
AT-L'r...oh,sorry...fellow hikers and frequent visitors of Trailplace.com, I
welcomeyou!" " I am also announcing that I will no longer be known as
Wingfoot butwill now be simply known by the AT symbol !"  And with that the
hikerformerly known as Wingfoot quickly left the podium followed closely by
thecloak wearing Avery Guard.   All the while the parapackers were oblivious
to the announcement and keptcircling the stage pushing their measuring
wheels, smiling and waving atthe crowd.     Milo Garcia again stepped forward
and as the lights dimmed said, "Pleaseenjoy with me this multimedia
presentaion."  Well all the parapackers knewwhat Milo's multimedia
presentaions were and abruptly dropped their wheelsand sat down in the front
row with their liitle heads tilted upwards.Little Hector and Enzo scurried
back to the filmstrip projector and 8 trackplayer and began the show.   After
rushing through the 5 minute copyright segment, the narration began:" Coming
soon, 'The Trail-My Way or No Way starring Dan Wingfoot Bruce'an IMAX
spectacular.  Cur-chunk goes the 8 track tape as it changes tracksand little
Enzo spins the filmstrip knob trying to keep up.  "This is MyronAvery and
this is an Avery Monitor as the picture of Little Juan and hiswheel is
superimposed on the classic pose of Myron Avery.  "Note thediminutive
parapacker" adds the narrator.  click, click turns thefilmstrip.  "And here
see how easily the parapackers can conceal themselvesbehind trees and
especially blue-blazed trees."  The picture shows maybe25-30 little
parapackers sticking their heads out from behind trees ,smiling and waving.
Suddenly the music on the 8 track player picks up as the Theme from
Shaftbegins to fill the room.  Enzo clicks the filmstrip knob faster and
faster.We see the hiker formerly known as Wingfoot jumping up from the
bigtrailplace sofa and running out the door.  "Here we see the response
teamin action as the Avery Monitors have spotted a registered trail
useravoiding Albert Mountain." adds the narrator.   Again the scene shows
Wingfoot  this time at the Springer Mountaincheck-in center attaching the
champion chip to a somewhat pudgy hikersboot.  "These chips will activate
sensors at secret points along theAppalachian Trail and be closely monitored
by the staff at Avery Center."    The lights come back up and Milo returns to
the podium as theparapackers resume weaving and pushing their wheels
throughout the crowd ofonlookers.  "Thank you Little Juan, Little Enzo,
Little Hector and the restof you Litle Parapackers!"  boomed Milo as he
lightt his big Cuban cigar."Are there any questions?  Yes - the redheaded
hiker over there."  "Is it true Mr. Garcia that you invented the McDonald's
shake and that itis actually your chilled fondue recipe?"  "I have no comment
escept to saythat shakes have many uses." replied a stunned Milo.  The
Bamaman AT '81
The Ossipee Mountain News<<A HREF="http://www.conknet.com/d_severance";>http://www.conknet.com/d_severance</A>>

multipart/alternative
  text/html