[at-l] smug hiker knowledge

The odd thing about the recommendation for 20 minutes of boiling is to
consider what bugs are anticipated to be in the water supply. If for some
reason the city had no water towers and somehow produced sanitized water on
demand, that might make sense. If the water supply is low due to use during
loss of power or broken water lines, that may be a way to slow consumption.
If they somehow crossed their sewage and water supply lines, or got
agricultural contamination, that might make sense. But in general the idea
has been about 10 minutes of boiling only if there was specific concern of
giardia or crypto. I wonder if that was advice from Red Cross of other
emergency services, or if the announcer simply was carried away by the drama.

OrangeBug