[at-l] Re: Food packing quesrtions

1. I suppse you're asking on a long distance hike. I try to make a good guess
    how long it'll take me to reach the next town and then I add a couple
    meals to that. So, if I expect a 3 day trip I'll probably carry an extra
    breakfast and snacks. If, however, I expect the trip to take 8 days I'll
    probably carry another day and a half of food.
2. I suppose I float around the 1.5 pound/day amount.

3. Depends on the season. In cold weather you can get away with a lot. But,
    in warm weather I still carry bread (begals, pita), hard cheese, hard
    salami. Good cheese will last nearly a week though it maay get a bit
    slippery. A good dry salami is going to last a real long time - easily a
    week. I've never carried margerine in warm weather. I do carry olive oil
    in vacuum sealed sacks I make. As to the good 'ole hiker staple of PB&J
    well I'm actually not a huge fan of it. Peanut butter keeps and keeps and
    keeps, but jelly probably starts to loose it after a week or so. On hot
    days I also carry, and yes I know they're heavy, fresh fruit. Oranges are
    this backpackers favorite friend. There is nothing like having an orange
    (or clementine) on a hot day. Yum!

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **