[at-l] Hiker Hints for 02'ers - cold poles

At 10:06 PM 2/5/02 -0500, Clark Wright wrote:
>all true enough - the problem is that those kinds of gloves leave you a
>bit helpless for doing more detailed hand work when you are not using
>the poles, thus raising the issue of whether you try to carry more than
>one pair of gloves, plan on taking your gloves off for all detailed work
>in camp, or [as I chose] go with lighter weight gloves that worked
>better in camp, but were not quite perfect for the coldest days with
>poles.  Where I also noticed the cold with hiking poles were on colder
>days later on after I'd sent my gloves home - just, say, a cold, rainy
>day, or a day in early spring where the ground was still cold, but the
>ambient temp was warming up . . . I don't think the ski experiences
>translate well to those situations . . .

Hi,

I don't know what kind of gloves you have in mind.  Perhaps you're
envisioning alpine ski gloves.  Cross country ski gloves is what I was
referring to and they translate perfectly in my opinion and experience for
hiking above 10 degrees.  They are not waterproof so that your sweat is
released.

"...the music of the songs I love is found in the open air."
	From a Danish children's song.

Martin R. Fors [marty aka rusty]