From: "Phil Heffington" <Phil.Heffington@oc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 5:21 PM
Subject: [at-l] alcohol containers

I, for one, have noticed the corroding effect of denatured alcohol on my
MSR fuel container.  When I first considered using an alcohol stove I
stored my denatured alcohol in such a container.  I noticed fairly soon
afterwards (weeks maybe) that the lip of the container was getting
rough, thus making it chew up the rubber gasket quicker on the cap.  It
was only then that I read that you shouldn't store alcohol in those
aluminumuinum containers.

I've seen people on the trail just carrying the stuff in plastic pop
bottles.  It doesn't seem to melt the plastic like white gas would, but
it certainly doesn't prevent you from mistaking it for another substance
which would be drinkable.