Re[2]: [at-l] Hitchhiking 101

When I hiked in "93" I hadn't stuck out my thumb in more than 40 years, and I
was a bit nervous and awkward about the whole procedure.

But it quickly became second nature. Just stand, smile and stick out a thumb. It
worked everywhere except in northern PA, NY, NJ and CT.

I don't think I ever stood more than five minutes except in those states.
Whenever possible I used a pretty female hiker as a decoy. Who can stopping to
help a pretty young thing in distress with someone who looks like her
grandfather standing somewhat embarrassed to one side.

And lone females were always happy to serve as decoys, since they were a bit
nervous about hitching by themselves.

Sorry about those who think these directions are not politically correct. But a
successful hike requires one to use whatever strategies that work.

Weary