[at-l] Introduction

Since I came out of lurk mode last week, I thought I
should go ahead and, in the words of Austin Powers,
"Allow myself to introduce, ah........., myself". I've
been hiking/backpacking with some regularity over the
past 25 years, since moving to NY state from PA.
Before that, it was as a boy scout, or with much less
regularity. I completed the ADK 46 in '86, and have
section hiked the Northville-Placid trail, and two
short sections on the AT, one in VT, and one in MA.
One of my hiking partners thru-hiked in '80. I had
been planning a thru-hike of the AT in 2003, but
wasn't quite sure if I could justify quitting the job.
It was the uncertainty of re-acquiring a job at the
age of 50 in the IT business in this economy. So, it
was a tentative plan. Now, due to a company
restructuring, and basically lack of business, I am
being let go at the end of April, this year. So,
immediately I'm thinking, great, now I can thru hike.
After much consideration, I will probably not do the
thru this year, but I will do an extended section
trip. Right now, I'm thinking of doing two weeks in
May in PA, then I will have a break to attend youngest
daughter's college graduation. Then, I'm thinking New
Hampshire end of May, beginning of June. I would
really like to go to Springer and just head north for
3 or 4 weeks, and I may change my mind and do that.
But whatever, it's better than nothing.
  I have grabbed a few ideas from this list, and
others. I am a recovering not so lightweight
backpacker, after reading Jardine. The idea of making
equipment really appeals to me, and though I may not
make any before my trip this year, I plan to for
future use. So far, I have purchased a G4, a sil-nylon
tarp, and an NF 35 deg. 2 lb. bag, to replace a 3 1/2
lb. down. I don't think I'll have any problems getting
the weight down. I will be doing a few test trips in
the next couple months to test some of these changes.
I'm also planning on trying out dehydrating meals.
While I want to lighten the load, I don't want to be
foolish when it comes to spending more than this stuff
needs to cost. Had I thought of it sooner, I surely
would have made the pack, tarp, and quilt. But, once I
make my own, I can unload this other stuff to another
lightweight convert.
  Anyway, just wanted to say "howdy", I look forward
to learning more from this list, not to mention the
entertainment you all provide. <VBG>

Cheers,
Dan
aka Till Brandybuck of Buckland (Hobbitt name)