From: <FosterP599@aol.com>
To: <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 3:43 PM
Subject: [at-l] Trip Report

Last week, during some very warm weather, I did an overnite hike in the
Sipsey Wilderness.  It was the first time to use my new G-4 pack and the
second time for a Hennessey Hammock. I trimmed and used the pads for
shoulder
and waist belts.  With food for two days, sleeping bag, Z-rest, change of
underwear & socks,stove & pot, and hammock, weight was 15 lbs.  I added 2
liters of water and was still under 19 lbs.  I though this was great, I
liked
having water in the side pockets and the loops for the hose.  The pads in
the
shoulder straps had to be adjusted for comfort.  Everything else worked
fine.
 I hiked in using the Mitchell Ridge Trail and it was a joy to be outside
and
I did not see anyone else during the two days.  I found a great stealth
campsite with a small spring and trees just right for the hammock.  Since it
was a little cool, I used the Z-rest to lay on and used the bag like a
quilt.
 Mostly I was comfortable but still have a lot to learn about sleeping in a
hammock.  Me, water bottle, shoes, bag and Z-rest all traveled to the lowest
part of the hammock.  If any of you have opportunity, I recommend the Sipsey
Wilderness in North Alabama.

First Pilgrim
Foster Parsons