[at-l] Light weight. Does it end on the trail?

Ultimately, I would like to be able to exist 365 days a year, whether I'm on
the trail or not, with only the amount of material objects that could fit
into a day pack or a small backpack. I have a long way to go. Everything I
have now in the whole world can fit into a medium sized closet, but I'm
having a hard time shrinking it further. Much of these things are
non-functional items from the last 25 years or so - sentimental type stuff -
books, spoken audio tapes, photos, letters, etc - things that I had set
aside purposely to keep into the future as a representation of that era. The
passage of time has severed a few of those sentimental attachments. I also
have lots of old gear I need to ditch . I feel like they are a bit old and
used to be desirable to many people, but I don't want to just throw them
away either (any ideas?).

The times that I have traveled across the country with a day pack have felt
very liberating (even if it was only because I had shipped the rest to avoid
Greyhound's incompetence). This is a hard topic for me to convey in words -
I guess it might come down to (among other things) the idea that the more
stuff you have (and are emotionally dependent on), the more you are
negatively impacted in the potentially sudden loss of that stuff. And this
also gets back to that ancient debate on what constitutes "need". For me,
whether we define "need" through some universal absolute, or through the
relativity of individual realities, that definition applies equally on or
off the trail.

wc