Optimum trekking pole height was Re: [at-l] New Poles test!! etc.

My understanding and what has worked for me is that the poles should be tall
enough, when extended, that when you hold them in front of you (tips on the
ground) your elbows are at right angles.  So the right height, I think, is
whatever the distance is from ground to your elbow (adjusted for the height
of your platform or other hiking boots).  That works well for me on both ups
and downs (I have enough to do to keep from scattering stuff on the trail
without messing with poles).  At that height, you use the poles to, in
essence, walk like a four legged, rather than two legged, critter.

Anybody else have an opinion, consistent or otherwise?

Black&blue

In a message dated 02/03/02 4:58:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, spur@mac.com
writes:

> BTW I just measured my poles at normal extension and they are 53" long =
> 76% of my height. (I stand about 5'10".) I wonder what the normal range
> is out there.
>
> Spur

multipart/alternative
  text/html