[at-l] New Poles test!! New personal best! And a failure

> In a message dated 2/2/02 21:59:20, delita@mindspring.com writes:
>
> > Leki says readjust
> >longer on downs and shorter on ups.  Nimblewill says leave the
> >adjustment the same all the time.

I don't readjust my poles for ups or downs either.  All one needs to do is learn
where to place the pole in relation to the slope.

On the downhills, I turn the handle of the pole around so that I'm palming the
top of the handle, then use the poles to brake my descent.  One problem with this
though is that I've developed carpal tunnel symptoms which could be from a number
of things, but no doubt aggravated by the constant pounding due to the New
Hampshire notches.  My knees are fine, but I'll have to figure out a new way to
pole the downhills.

On some downhills, I have actually slalomed by poling which makes for a rapid
descent and I guess this comes from learning to ski at an early age and using
proper pole technique.  This can be dangerous while hiking, though, and so I
don't do it often and am pretty judicious about where I place my feet.

Also remember that you don't need to always grip the handle on your poles,
anywhere along the pole will work.

Ron