[at-l] Snakebite

One of his companions said that they had
spotted the snake and since "fannypack ? " had a
degree in outdoor education he decided to show them
his snake handling skills. He was bitten.

Later I heard a lot of sirens and the hikers in Kent
said that the venom had screwed up his bloodwork
and he was being airlifted out for more treatment.

    ***   Of the two AT rattler bites I've heard of both were the result of
handling. The other was a Boy Scout leader who attempted the same thing over
at Delaware Water Gap. They both got a venom bite.

       The local species on the AT is the eastern timber rattler. They tend
to be bigger and darker in the south. The northern type is an olive greenish
yellow with a pattern on the back. In 1996 I almost stepped on the back of a
big one off trail in Harriman Park, NY on the AT.

     I hope Fannypack didn't kill the one that bit him. It was completely his
fault. I also hope the cable TV snake handlers aren't inducing people to
copycat their professional snake handling.

    Kent is just at the northern limit of rattlesnakes...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---