[at-l] This and that....

In a message dated 1/30/02 01:20:39, shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:

> I would appreciate it if someone would explain why my selection of a
>piece of gear makes me fearful, insecure, etc...  There
>seems to be a few people here with a morbid fear of guns.

Well, I don't have a morbid fear of guns. I own a gun. I've done some trap
shooting and some hunting. One place where we lived was so surrounded by riff
raff that I slept with my shotgun in brackets attached to the sideboard of
the bed.

This is because I was insecure and fearful. We were robbed seven times in a
year and a half, and the state police would go through the roster of our
rural neighbors, lining out who was in jail, who had just gotten out of jail,
and who was under suspicion. Once, we returned home to an empty whiskey
bottle and a loaded gun propped up in a corner.

Don't know why they didn't steal the gun. Too drunk, I suppose.

After that we moved to a totally different kind of neighborhood where I
didn't feel insecure and fearful. My gun lived in the closet, in a different
bedroom from where I slept, with the shells in a separate place.

Although I don't have a morbid fear of guns, there are places where it would
make me nervous to see somebody carrying one, I suppose because I wouldn't
think of carrying a gun in those places am would wonder why someone would.

I would wonder at a person carrying a gun into church, or to the office, or
with them while shopping at the mall, or in an AT shelter. In a shelter, I
doubt I would think the person had a gun for self-protection. I would wonder
if they had a tendency to trail rage or were a crazy who would shoot me for
my gear or somebody who would think a hiker returning from the privy at night
is a bear and shoot.

It wouldn't be fear of guns per se that would keep me from stopping at that
shelter, but nervousness over somebody bringing a gun to a place where it
seems so unlikely to be needed.
Vcat