[at-l] Cellphones Not Required

At 11:47 PM 1/31/02 -0500, RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
>I see cell phones as a
>symbol of that which contrasts with fighting to keep the Trail primitive and
>wild. The Trail will fail to live up to its potential unless all people
>(including developers) see it that way and work towards it...

There's a big difference between a condo near the trail and a cell phone in
a hikers pack.  I don't like to see cell phones on mountain tops ("you'll
never guess where I'm calling from") but I don't see this as a valid
comparison.  It could easily be argued that shelters are more of a
non-primitive intrusion than a cell phone but they serve a valid purpose
and I think a cell phone can too.  The cell phone problem is more a matter
of courtesy than a black/white, they absolutely never belong there type
situation.

BTW - What *is* the trail's potential?  I suspect that it depends on who
you talk to.  We have a pretty good idea of your opinion but it is evident
that there are a lot of folks here who don't share your view.  In the end
it is not up to just those on this list either.  We represent only one
small segment of AT users.  So... who decides?

sAunTerer