Re[2]: whoops.... Re: Re[2]: [at-l] weight/use efficiency & Guns

Bob Cummings wrote:
>  Based on this extensive experience, I can't conceive of a place to keep
>loaded  weapons easily "available" in every room, as Shane >claimed, that
>"kids couldn't  get to."

Bob -
Three points -

1. I was raised in homes (several of them) where there were at least as many
people (and kids) as your family - and there were ALWAYS loaded guns
available.  And NONE of the kids touched them without permission because
they weren't a big deal - guns were tools to be kept clean and oiled, used
when necessary and otherwise left where they belonged.  They weren't toys
and the kids knew it because they were trained to shoot and knew what they
were for and what they could do - and what they couldn't do.   My kids were
raised the same way.  As Saunterer said - times have changed - I might not
do it that way today - I might keep those guns in gun safes that can be
opened in about 1 second - if you know the combination.  Not necessarily
because of my kids, but because the idiot next door has taught HIS kids that
guns are "evil", thus making them irresistable to any kid (male child,
especially)  that's ever walked the earth.

2. Your assumption that the kids would "know" where the guns are is
undoubtedly justified - I did, my kids did, you probably did.  But you
didn't bother to ask "how" he kept them (both kids and guns) safe.  There
are at least three different ways to do that - but out of your own ignorance
of those ways, you ASSUMED something rather than ask a simple question - and
you're old enough to know better.

3. If you have a problem with what Shane said then address the problem, ask
the questions, express an opinion - whatever.  But what you did instead was
to attack his kids (dumb couch potatoes?) - and that's dumb - and from my
point of view, unacceptable.

If you'd said up front what you said here, I probably wouldn't have bothered
with this mess.  But you didn't - instead, you got insulting.  Regardless of
your intent - you owe him (and his kids) an apology for what you said about
his kids.

Walk softly,
Jim