[at-l] Dogs on the Trail

"Charles Copeland" wrote:
>I'm not sure what the fuss is about dogs and streams.

Charles -
The fuss is about dogs and "water sources" - whether streams or springs.

Personal experience - Several years ago in the middle of a severe drought,
we took water from a slowly running spring (actually a shallow puddle) in
the Shenandoahs.  Then we walked to the shelter to eat lunch. About 2
minutes later we watched a dog come down the trail, stand in that same
spring to drink from it and then piss in it.  About 30 seconds later the
owner came down the trail and headed for the spring, cup in hand .......

Points -
1. the dog was running free and the owner had no idea what it was doing.

2. the dog fouled the only water source in at least 10 miles in either
direction.

3. we didn't bother to tell the owner what his dog had done and why he
shouldn't drink out of the spring.

Walk softly,
Jim