Dupont Forest was Re: [at-l] What would you do

At 09:59 PM 1/31/02 -0500, KellyGoVols@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 1/31/02 7:51:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>saunterer@jimbullard.org writes:
>

>>$10 million bucks?  I'd retire immediately.  Hell, $100G would do that with
>>plenty to spare even after taxes.  With $10M I'd pay all my debts, all my
>>kids debts, give a bunch to the Nature Conservancy, set up some
>>scholarships, and spend a lot of time traveling (on foot and
>>otherwise).  I'd build a log house in the woods.
>>
>>sAunTerer
>

>That is almost IDENTICAL to what I would do.  But, I'd also go to school,
>take those courses that I'm most interested in, rather than those that I
>need to get a degree.  I'd get a Ph.D. in nothing and everything at the
>same time, a Ph.D. in willy nilly.  Buy Mom and Pop a house in the
>mountains with lots of land. Indulge in a couple of guilty pleasures, like
>a shopping spree at Versace and a luxury trip or two, hire someone to tie
>my shoes, etc. (kidding).  But, I'd be broke in a couple of years, because
>I'd probably give most of it away.  What's the use if you can't share it?

Obviously I'm older than you.  My mother died at age 95 in 2000.  My father
has been gone for 31 years.  I might go back to college and get an MFA just
for the heck of it.  I would *NOT* be broke in a couple of years.  I spent
too many years already barely getting by.  I've avoided bankruptcy (barely)
at least three times and there's no way I'd knowingly put myself back there
again.  I don't need $10M and I've give away what I didn't need but I would
not blow it.

sAunTerer