[at-l] Shelter Register Question

I have a question for the list based on a recent visit to Gentian Pond
shelter.

When the thru-hiking season is over like it is now, and one comes upon a
register that was left by a prior year's hiker, is it proper to return it to
its owner even if it isn't full?

I ended up leaving the register, but was wondering.  It had enough pages in
it for hikes through 2003, and my suspicion was that the guy who left it was
probably only interested in his "class".  I can't be sure, but I suspect he
would have been delighted if I had sent it.  The register was not started by
the MATC or other club but rather an early NOBO.  I had a small notebook
that I could have ripped some pages out of and left in its place, but was
also unsure of that.