[at-l] Cellphones Not Required

In a message dated 1/31/02 2:38:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, DTimm65344
writes:

> I carry the cell phone for emergencies and to inform the family in two
> minute increments periodically that I am fine, period.  I have a number of
> friends and family that have them surgically attached to their ears, but
> I'm not much into chit chat even off the trail.

   *** I'm not criticizing you in particular, but if you analyze the
logistics of this you'll see it doesn't make much difference. Unless you have
a set time or interval at which you check in your family can't do much
anyway. In the worst scenario where you fail to make contact your family will
call emergency officials and they will be forced to initiate a search. This
inherently makes the Trail less wild by making you dependent on outside
support. On-Trail, the hiker network makes up for this. You need only look to
New Hampshire where the increase in cellphone originated emergency calls lead
to a "fool's surcharge" being imposed. Police have seen an explosion in
frivolous reports also. This creates a rise in costs for covering all these
calls.

    On the Trail the reality is that you are probably already dead anyway if
you met the worst fate. Acts of violence would be long over before they
figured out how to get there. The only people phones would help would be solo
incapacitated hikers in low season far from help or off trail. I can't
remember ever hearing of such a fatality before cellphones. This brings to
bear the question of cost to the Trail's wilderness vs actual benefit. To
keep the Trail wild I would elect to go unconnected. You can easily plan
calls from towns and remote phone access...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---