[at-l] Cellphones

Kahley -

The most important thing is being able to get a signal, so while a cheap plan
is right for many (I have a nationwide monthly plan but that's because I use
mine for business on the road), the standard phone they hook that up with
works in towns but
not much beyond that.  I have an Audiovox CDM-9000 tri-mode which has only
not been able to gain a signal a couple of places in America (one was in the
middle of nowhere Nevada on US 90 and the other was in one valley on the Wild
Oak trail in VA).  But it is a pricey phone.  Trimode is the better coverage
type phone.  As to battery, if I leave it on and don't use it, it will hold
charge for about 3 days (I leave it turned off when not using it on the
trail).  Talking chews up power and it will go a couple of hours in that
mode, if memory serves on the specs.  Go to Radioshack or whereever and see
if you can hook a better phone with a cheap minutes plan - I don't see why
you couldn't.  They typically link cheap phones with cheap plans.  Tell them
you need the best signal you can get, not the most minutes.

If we can coordinate the hiking, maybe we can swap my phone for your gun from
time to time?  VVVBG.

Black&blue

In a message dated 01/31/02 7:57:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, kahley7@ptd.net