From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of MarkRebuck
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 5:29 PM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] altimeter

I don't know what the "most recommended" is, but I have a Suunto Vector
which I bought while I was stuck in Gatlingburg, TN(snow storm). At
first I fealt guilty about spending 200.00 on a watch, but the rest of
my thruhike I was thankful to have it. It proved to be very accurate and
durable, only getting scratched once (going up Katahdin, as it were). I
had to set it every time I got to a shelter to avoid drift, but every
barometric altimiter will have the same problem.

I would say that 3/4 of the altitude watches I saw were Suuntos, the
other 1/4 were Avocet or Nike.