[at-l] Re: Sticky fingers

I must agree with you on this one Jack.  Most people on the trail you can
trust.  It isn't always the hikers on the trail that you have to deal with
though. Well, another reason not to slackpack.  Sticky fingers could walk
away with your equipment.....err, misplace your equipment.

In 1997, Kampfire was shuttling hikers around the trail to where they needed
to go.  Two hikers decided to do the slackpack out of Erwin to around Roan
Mountain.  They had Kampfire slack them.  The only problem they ran into was
the weather and Kampfire, sorry Kamp good buddy.  He took the packs to Roan
Mountain and dropped them off.  But the two hikers in question got there
after dark and couldn't find there packs.  It was somewhere around 40
degrees, maybe a little colder overnight.  Yes, they spent the night without
their packs and gear and slept quite warm to say the least, HA!!!!!!!!!!!

Leaving your pack with someone to shuttle it ahead for you may end up
causing you just as much harm as if someone had stolen it right out from
under you.  My philosophy during my thru-hike was simple: wherever I go, my
pack goes with me, even to the top of Katahdin.

Ryan "MEANT 2B" Crawford
Sunapee, NH