[at-l] weight/use efficiency & Guns

sAunTerer -

Your right.  Things have changed in this country.

When I was a kid in small town America in the early 60s, I would disappear
for the day to play with friends or to wander in the woods and my mom
wouldn't worry (she knew I'd be back by dinner).  We used to leave the doors
unlocked.  Not many folks in big or small town America can (or think they
can) do that anymore anywhere in America.  I miss that.

The biggest change from when I was young and now as regards people's
attitudes towards things is the flagrant abuse of traffic laws.  And no, I
don't want to start a thread on that - I want to talk about hiking, dammit!!!!
!  However, on my daily commute to and from work along an aggregate 30ish
miles of the Interstate 95 speedway in Delaware, I drive the speed limit
(right on the numbers, whatever they are).  I pass an average of two cars a
day in that trip and an average of 600 cars blow my doors off racing by at
anywhere from 5 to 30 miles over the limit.  I counted to get these numbers
across about a month's time a couple of years ago and it's pretty consistent
day in and day out.  At a recent public meeting sponsored by a civic
organization on whose board I serve, several members of my local community
complained to state, county and local law enforcement representatives that we
need more police (State troopers) to control the speeding on Interstate 95.
At least two of those complaints came from people whom I know and who
routinely blow the doors off my car on the way to work - guess they meant we
need to pull over the folks from Florida passing through on the way to New
York (or vice versa).  I commented (citing my unscientific but pretty telling
statistics) that as long as 95% of America (and I'm guessing that's low)
doesn't give a damn about the speed limit, we have plenty of State troopers,
and perhaps too many.  No point in wasting time there - they should spend
time on other duties.

You're right, most people don't have respect for things they generally used
to have respect for.

Black&blue

In a message dated 01/30/02 8:49:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,