[at-l] weight/use efficiency & Guns

At 08:37 AM 1/30/02 -0800, Ron Winchester wrote:
>Kahley,
>
>My experience was much the same.  By the time we got into high school, we had
>to check our guns at the office -- imagine that!  The beginning of the end.
>Now if a kid gets caught with a pen knife he/she will get expelled.  Same
>school -- different times and attitudes.  Funny though, we've had more murders
>here the past fifteen years, than all the time I was growing up, and in none
>of the recent murders was a gun used.
>
>Ron

Something has changed over the years since I attended a one room country
school (8 kids in 8 grades).  We never took guns to school but when the
teacher read us a story about lumberjacks all the boys (all 5 of us)
carried axes to school for several weeks and played lumberjack in the woods
out back on recess.  The was a lot of snow that winter and consequently a
lot of 4' tall stumps out back come spring.

Yes, something in this country changed since those days but I don't quite
sure that removing weapons from the schools didn't cause it.  Those laws
(and others) were a reaction to more subtle changes that took place in the
attitudes of people.  Too many people just don't have any respect anymore
for anything.  I wish I were wise enough to point to a way to change the
attitudes back, but sadly, I'm not.

sAunTerer