[at-l] Groups & Guns

     If there's a phobic worry over needing a gun on the AT I would suggest
researching the statistic of attacks on groups. I believe you'll find that no
group of four or more was ever attacked by anything. Simple measures of
staying in groups could make unneeded gun toting unnecessary. The AT is a no
gun zone.

    This issue is simply one that persons unfamiliar with long distance AT
hiking work up in their imaginations. Maybe Shane needed it elsewhere, but
experienced hikers know it to be unnecessary weight. Snakes are generally
protected and killing them is totally avoidable. Snake researchers show that
venomous snakes are really only interested in getting away from something
they can't kill and eat (African Black Mamba excepted). Macho snake killing
is ignorance. Black shadows in the woods. After my first months in the woods
I felt like part of them and knew what to do. I lost my fear of bugs etc and
could set up in the leaf litter nice and comfy...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---