[at-l] Cedar Tree 1st Post

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Dave Hicks wrote:

> Another item folk might want to check out is Cedar Tree's "Packa" see:
>
> http://www.muw.edu/~ehinnant/packa/

Thanks Chainsaw-- but I guess it is about time I emerge on this list,
considering I have lurked on here for about year or so. Short Bio:
Thru-hiked in 2000, Feb. 13 - July 21st (158 days with 9 zeroes). Did not
carry a gun or a cell phone. Love dogs but would not hike the AT with one,
especially a thru-hike. I got almost all of my thru-hike prep info from
Trailplace. I too am a gear nut--I have at least 4 of just about
everything (stoves,tents,sleeping bags...etc). I started with a ZIP,
switched to an ApexII at Gatlinburg, and went stoveless from Catawba VA to
Katahdin. I carry the hikenlight stove now. I carried a 20 degree Campmor
down bag and a Peak1 cobra tent the WHOLE way, loved um both. I did not
carry maps, but found the databook and the companion vital.  I saw 4 bears
and 2 rattlesnakes. My favorite spots on the trail were Tinker Cliffs and
Sages Ravine/Race Mountain. I stayed at Laurel creek but heard good things
from Dennis about Kincora. I prefer to tent rather than staying in
shelters.  I started with a Pur water filter but sent it home at Neels
Gap--used polarpure the rest of the way.

AND I invented the Packa (Patent Pending). Several people have emailed me
(thanks to Kurt and Chainsaw) so I need to post some info here (so I won't
have to type it several more times). I have some Packas available that
weigh 26 ounces ($40 + $5 shipping) -- but I have finally located a
company that is going to make the packa from sil-nylon (Equinoxltd). They
told me I would have 20 by the end of Feb, but I will be surprised if they
arrive by then. They called me last week about making some small changes
to aid in sewing, so they still haven't given me their first attempt
yet--which I must approve before they make the 20. I estimate the cost of
these will be around $100. Thanks for everyone's interest in the PACKA. I
often put a 26 oz. packa on ebay--so check there-- you can usually get
one considerably less than $40.

						        \o/

Eddie Hinnant					        / \   Maine
Assistant Professor of Education			 _/\
Mississippi University for Women       _/\	       _/   \
	     _/    \_    o     	    _/      \	   _/	Cedar Tree
    _/\_   _/	     |_ [|        _/         |_  _/	Appalachian Trail
  _/    \_/            \/\_     _/     	       \/	Thru-Hiker
Georgia			     \/