[at-l] Guns and Snakes aand Bears and Knives

Shane--

In this gun discussion I think a couple things have been overlooked.  First
off, If I am not mistaken, you have indicated that one reason you carry is
to dispatch poisonous snakes.  To my way of thinking, that is a bad reason
to carry and shows poor judgement most anywhere.  On the AT is would be
simply unacceptable.

You also indicated that you were required to shoot an alligator to save your
life.  Must be a hell of a story there.  And you know, I can envision good
reason to shoot one.  Still, when that story is placed in the context of
your willingness to dispatch poisionous snakes it gives me reason for pause.

Whats more, you seem to imply that insuring your ability to shooting a black
bear on the AT is realistic means of protection.  Perhaps.  But you know,
considering your experience with snake and gator, I have got to say that I
dont want to be within 100 yards when a bear sniffs around your tent on the
AT.

Now, the fact that you have a 14" Tonto has save your life a number of times
(as you say), may be a tribute to your adventerous spirt and lifestyle.
Still, I will admit to being a bit of a wus at times.  With incomplete
information (I don't know you) seeing that knife with its squared off blade
and look of a samarai sword and perhaps a few shells scattered about a
shelter floor will not give me comfort, but place me ill at ease, and likely
inspire me to move along.

In any case, thats an honest perception of how one East Coast conservative
sees things, and it has nothing to do with the second ammendment.   Since I
don't know you, this is not meant to be a personal attack, rather its just
my reaction to what I have read.

With the exception of shooting snakes, that is.  You got to stop doing that,
Shane!!!!

Rick Boudrie