[at-l] Backpacking Trip

This area is special:

> You could go the 37 miles from Indian Grave Gap outside of Erwin to the 19E
> trailhead at Roan Mountain/Elk Park.  Without a doubt it's one of the most
> beautiful and challenging sections on the entire trail.
>
> Some of the highlights are Beauty Spot, Unaka Mountain, Roan Mountain, Round
> Bald, Little Hump and Hump Mountain.

I agree with Sly. Roan Mountain and the Humps are some of the prettiest
parts of the Trail I've yet been on in the south.

Hope for clear weather (the view from the Humps is vast) but prepare for the
worst. A friend of mine got pulled of Roan Mountain (6K-plus elevation) in a
snowstorm in May two years ago, hypothermic. It was chilly up there in June.

Overmountain Shelter is FINE! A huge red barn with a magical vista. The
weather unrolls into the valley before you. Look for wild turkey, which are
plentiful.
Lucky you, wherever you choose.

. Nightly stays could be Beauty Spot at 4

--
    	Jan Leitschuh Sporthorses Ltd.

	Website: