[at-l] weight/use efficiency & Guns

At 06:08 PM 1/29/02 -0600, Shane Steinkamp wrote:

snip
>  It was common to see my neighbors with guns
>in their trucks and common to carry a firearm when going
>into the woods.  There were, as far as I could tell, three
>reasons for this:  Just because, to dispatch poisonous
>snakes, and because you might see something you want to
>shoot and eat.

You know, I'd like to see a demographic breakdown of attitudes
re guns and rural urban/people.  Believe it or not, we had a closet
in our sixth grade classroom, for guns. Well actually it held supplies
but that's where the boys put their guns. Yep.  sixth grade kids
were allowed to bring guns to school during hunting season so
they could go hunting right after school.  We lived on the edge of town
and would often see people walking down the street with a slung gun.

I grew up, knowing that there was a shotgun and shells in our closet
and to keep my hands off it, just as I knew that the keys to the car
were above the visor.  The gun was a tool that I was not allowed to
use, just as I wasn't allowed to use my dad's good screwdrivers.

That was my semi rural experience.  In the cities, people have a different
attitude because their experiences are of people killing people with guns.
Same tool, but a different application because of what?  Location?

Maybe we should ban cities.