[at-l] Trail Volunteers (Sloetoe)

In a message dated 1/29/02 5:49:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sloetoe@yahoo.com writes:

> But did you EVER notice that when these people (and so many
> more... Sly, ORR, sAunTerer, Pittsburghistan) post to the list,
> they mention their activities IN PASSING? And what of the at-l's
> *lurkers*? What you REFUSE to get is the simple message that the
> at-l is a virtual campfire before the virtual shelter, where we
> can socialize with like-minded persons about LIFE. We RELAX
> here. It is NOT the bully-pulpit for screeds (great word, BJack)
> and harangues from insensitive, self-absorbed boobs who're
> *astoundingly* ignorant of the alienation towards list traffic,
> hiking, the Appalachian Trail, trail work, trail advocacy, and
> even an outdoors lifestyle that their ill-informed, idiotic
> posts create. ... ... Shoot: paving the AT would do SO much to
> simplify my life right now.... Luscious idea. I mean it.

     ***   Unlike others I'll answer. I'm glad you're heavily involved and
did service to the Trail. Honest. Myself, I think the site's quality would
improve if people like yourself shared their AT involvement more often as a
good example and incentive to others. (Good example Cosmo & Weary) It isn't
something to be shunned or ashamed of. Since you are so sensitive about dirt
and shovel topics on the list, I'd like to ask you your opinion about where
that should be done then? And if there is nowhere to do it, what will the
outcome be on the Trail? Is the lack of responses an indication, or is it the
type of silence following the new information on the mine? Since you are so
full of opinion, could you please respond to the "ill-informed" mine letter
about Wingfoot's contribution? Or is the "relaxing" edict a permit to tell
outright lies? Just drop the campfire cover and answer that Sloetoe. What are
you afraid of? AT-L won't melt.

   As for "self-absorbed boobs" not getting with the program. Well, who put
you in charge? I was enjoying a nice, meaningful, and Trail-substantial
conversation with Cosmo that YOU decided to enter on your own. If you say
something foolish out of some kind of pavlovian, learned campfire negative
reaction that draws a response you don't like that's your problem. Responding
(or not responding) the way you do above to an erosion topic is bad form.
Being a campfire munchkin doesn't exempt you from answering to your flawed
comments. The worst bullying on this list comes not from people posting
Appalachian Trail topics but from a group of inside list dominators who
insist on running an AT List according to their own self-imposed and
confining rules (I thank you too BJack). My erosion and volunteer topics were
on topic -You're the one who's out of line here Sloe. Every time somebody
makes their point effectively they suddenly become unwelcome interlopers.
What, if you're disproven you can beat them back with the campfire?

    I know you were against "tooting your own horn" on this List so I'll just
ask you if this angry response is a replacement for answering those
"astounding" things you mentioned in your post? Sloetoe, all this proves is
you can have a respectable Trail background and still be wrong about erosion
and traffic.
      I'm surprised a person with so much Trail background would go out of
his way to shoot down a discussion on getting more volunteers. Manners, tact,
and community spirit are one thing, but when they're used as an excuse to
beat down Trail involvement they've gone too far...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---