[at-l] Backpacking Trip

You could go the 37 miles from Indian Grave Gap outside of Erwin to the 19E
trailhead at Roan Mountain/Elk Park.  Without a doubt it's one of the most
beautiful and challenging sections on the entire trail.

Some of the highlights are Beauty Spot, Unaka Mountain, Roan Mountain, Round
Bald, Little Hump and Hump Mountain.  Nightly stays could be Beauty Spot at 4
miles, Cherry Gap Shelter 10m, Clyde Smith Shelter 8 1/2, and OverMountain
Shelter  at 11 miles leaving 9 miles to the 19E trailhead.  The only drawback
to hiking south to north would be leaving a car at the 19E trailhead which
has a high rate of vandalism.  It's best to arrange a shuttle. With an early
start you could do it north to south.

You can thank me later.  : )

Sly

m_lawson2000@yahoo.com writes:

> I live in Indiana and I am planning for my senior
> project to hike a tiny(40 miles) portion of the
> Appalachin Trail. I plan on taking this trip in the
> range of March 22-31. I am trying to find some
> information on good places in Tennessee to go to and
> exactly the means of planning an average 5 days, 4
> nights on the trail. If any groups are doing something
> in this frame I would love to see if I can squeeze in

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---