[at-l] Shane, guns, my 2 cents

Shane,

You have remained remarkably calm and have avoided personal attacks
quite admirably during your flogging.

Those of you who have tried to convince Shane that he will accidentally
shoot a busload of six year old girls while he's hiking with his gun
drawn, loaded, cocked and with itchy finger placed firmly on the
trigger,

Back off.
Giving your opinion on carrying a gun is one thing.  Trying to badger
someone into doing what YOU want just because you want it is some of the
most unfriendly behavior that exists.

Shane has given very clear examples of why he chooses to carry, he has
laid out his philosophy for us and when questioned, was open in sharing
details of how he developed that philosophy.  Sharing your philosophy
with him would be appropriate, beating him up about it isn't.  This
would be an appropriate time to either agree with him or disagree with
him, let him know which choice you make, and be done with it.  Obviously
there is no more information of value to add to this discussion.

Here's my 2 cents:
I carried a shotgun when I was hiking in N.W. Canada 10 yrs. Ago.  I'd
do it again.  I don't and wouldn't carry a gun of any kind on the AT.
If Shane chooses to carry one, I won't fault him for it.  His gun, his
choice.

-r (expressing his opinion)