Re[2]: [at-l] Rain pants, yes or no?

"...I figure getting a decent breathable pair"...

 Breathable works (marginally) in winter conditions. I've yet to find any
 breathable pants that do more than cost extra money and extra weight in late
 spring, summer and early fall.

 An all-purpose Goretex jacket has some merit as a wind and rain proof outer
 layer. I tend to carry a pair of wind pants in the winter. Recently I paid $20
 or so at an LL Bean factory store for an alleged breathable pair to replace my
 20-year-old version that has been torn by crampons.

 But they are nothing I would carry between mid April and mid October on the AT.

 Weary