[at-l] What about pepper spray?

Jan,

One of the big drawbacks associated with carrying pepper spray is the type of
container used for animal deterrent is quite large and heavy for long distance
hiking.  The type of small, purse size spray is designed to be used to deter
assaults of the human kind.  This type of canister is not considered effective
against ursus americanas nor to other predatory or defensively behaving
critters.  The small canisters range and volume of spray limit it to very close
range.

While many authorities recommend using pepper spray to deter bears, and claim a
high degree of effectiveness, the folks who spend most of their lives guiding or
working in bear areas prefer guns over spray.  As a young trail guide put it
while taking us on a bushwhacking horseback ride into the Wind River Range, "I
can crack a bears skull open with this(magnum handgun) at 50 yards which is
preferable to hoping I can get it to cry at 20."  She then pointed out a moose
carcass that had been fed upon by a sow grizzly and her cub.

Another problem associated with sprays is the very strong  possibility of the
user disabling themselves.  It only takes a breeze.

I do carry pepper spray - in bear canister size - while canoe tripping into the
northern wilderness.  Last spring my son and I crossed and camped on a lake that
had a recorded five fatal bear attacks within the past 10 years.  I really don't
think any of this is necessary on the AT, however.

Ron

As for dogs, I'll take my pocket sized spray over to the neighbors house and
test it on their labs.  I'll get back to you with the results. ;^l