[at-l] weight/use efficiency & Guns

OK, so I normally keep out of these discussions (and actually delete without
reading them at this point), but something occurred to me that I don't
believe I've seen discussed with regards to guns on the trail.

What do you do with your gun when you're showering in towns?

I actually only thought of this because I helped a woman this past summer
who had to deal with a nine year old dog that bit someone for the first time
in its life.  She wondered how she could deal with the dog when they had to
be apart (showers, stores, etc.) and yet guarantee that the dog wouldn't
bite anyone else.  She considered a muzzle but passed on that idea and ended
up getting off the trail.

If you keep your gun in a locked box, then that means you have to carry a
box that not only locks, but is strong enough to resist being opened by
someone with malicious intentions.  This sounds like it could be heavier
than the gun itself.

Anyway...

Accidents happen around guns.  If there are no guns around, then nobody can
be accidentally shot - or nobody can maliciously take the gun away from you.

The AT is just one of those places where the wildlife is just not that
threatening - unless you intend to blow away the mice that are trying to
steal your food.  Bear and bobcat sightings are usually few and far between
and most of us consider ourselves lucky to see such wildlife.  Human
interaction would be the most threatening part of the trail but the
potential for abuse of your weapon against you or someone else seems to be
higher than the potential for you to use your weapon for some valid reason.
(Don't ask - I have no stats to back this up - the key word was "seems".)

As for your question, let me ask you this...  If I told you that next year,
you were definitely going to get in a car accident, would you stop driving
and avoid all places where you could get hit by a car?  What if you had your
kids with you?

I'm just guessing, but I think there are still many more car accidents than
gun incidents in this country.

Just food for thought...

Mara
Stitches, GAME99