[at-l] weight/use efficiency & Guns

I have been around people who have unholstered their revlovers at bears (OK,
just one person and one one bear and her cubs) and let me tell you it wasn't
the bears I worried about.   I have also shared a few shelters with people
who had revolvers that clearly didn't no @x#t about handling guns safely.

In theory, there I could care less about someone else carrying a gun on the
AT.  In practice I do.  Just too many idiots out there.  Many are
well-trained idiots. The bad thing is that none of the idiots know who they
are.  If someone thinks that bears pose a realistic threat to AT
thru-hikers, they have not done a very good threat assesment.  If they can't
do that in thier living-rooms, I would not really want them around me at a
time when quick decisions would be made regarding any threat.

If one is going to carry a gun on a thru-hike, they have some special
responsibilities.  Like never entering a Post Office.  That's the law.
They also have a responsibility for being in control of their weapon 24/7.
That includes when they are going to the latrine, or sleeping in a shelter.
That can be done, but its not easy.  They also should be considerate of
others on the Trail.  Frankly, I am comfortable around guns, if not around
many people who have them.  On the Trail I shared three shelters with
different people who could have cared less if I was at ease.  They were
within their right to be armed, and that was enough.  But you know, at a
community spot like a shelter its not enough.  You should go out of your way
to put others at ease at a shelter.  Giving a beer to the incoming
Southbounder as you dry-fire you Python isn't really a great way of doing
that.  Yea, there are a lot of idiots out there.

On a semi-related topic, I have a friend who is convinced that the reason
guys take up diving is so that they get to strap a knife to thier leg.  At
one time I thought he was joking.