[at-l] thru-hiking with a dog

In 1996 I started a Thru Hike with my 4 legged hiking companion. I left the
Trail at Woody Gap for several reasons, one of them being that I realized I
was not able to take care of myself and the dog and make any time hiking at
all. Those first 2 1/2 days of constant rain and temps of high 30's to mid
40's with night temps from high 20's to low teens (early April) were more
than I could handle taking care of me and the dog. I went home left much gear
and the dog and came back. [later I realized I enjoy being on the Trail to
much to push for the miles necessary to get to the other end and became a
section hiker]. I need to qualify this by indicating that when I left
Springer it was to be my first long distance hike. Were I to start another
today I'd be more comfortable having both my dogs with me.
Long distance hiking with a dog is more effort than without one. You do need
to know  and understand your friend well, and always be aware of their
condition. Take care of their body and feet just as you do your own. There is
a Vet in Emporia Va, Tom Grenell, who did a Thru with two dogs in 1988, I
think the ATC has literature he put together on hiking with dogs.
To those who say it does dogs harm to do a Thru, I say "Just like people, to
some it does harm to others it's a piece of cake."
My two dogs regularly do 10 mile days. Actually I do the ten, because of
where we hike they can safely be off leash and they do at least double
probably close to triple what I do. I am totally confident of their ability
to do a Thru. Far less confident of my ability. [it's safe for them to be off
leash cause I average seeing someone else on the Trail about 1 time in every
ten days and those folks don't mind the unleashed friends]
If you think you want to take a dog, know them well, study up, think hard,
make a sound decision, be prepared and have a Great Hike.
JUSTAKAHIKE
Plum'Crazy