[at-l] "Weight/Use" efficiency

In a message dated 01/28/02 3:12:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Phil.Heffington@oc.edu writes:

<< The topic of carrying a gun while hiking brings up a related question
 which could be asked about many items.  What criteria do you use to
 evaluate whether an item's potential use is worth the weight of carrying
 it?  What items do you leave home that do not meet this criteria? >>

Since I'm usually out on 3 or 4 day 50 miles hikes, I've usually dumped
everything I can think of in the pack and carried 50 pounds.  Since my walk
March 1 will be 135 miles or so and take 8 days, I've actually thought about
it this time and don't plan on taking all the stuff I usually carry and never
use.  The only thing on my pack list that is probably not on most folks', as
it is used daily, is a cassette walkman and earbuds and two cassettes
(Blackhawk's greatest hits and the soundtrack from the movie "The Patriot" -
odd, I know, but now that several of you have met me, well, there you go).
These are essential for the uphills and are worth the 3/4 pounds (including
the extra batteries) to me.

And all of you will be glad to know with some forethought and assistance from
the group, my base pack weight is down to 20 pounds without food - it used to
be around 35 pounds.

As regards bears, I carry a manila folder with a string attached (almost zero
weight) on which I have scribed the words "Bear McNuggets."   If ever
seriously in trouble, I'm planning on hanging the sign on my neck, sitting
down and leaning against a tree.

Black&blue&less burdened