[at-l] gun questions

At 01:27 PM 1/28/02 -0600, Phil Heffington wrote:
>2.  Where are the places on the trail where federal, state or local gun
>permits are necessary to carry a gun?

In NY it is necessary to obtain a permit for any handgun not merely a
'concealed' one.

>What criteria do you use to evaluate whether an item's potential use is
>worth the weight of carrying it?

Well a gun wouldn't cut it for me.  Some of the more mathematical types on
the list could probably run the odds of "needing" a gun against the number
of people on the AT in a given year.  Frankly I expect that the odds of
winning the lottery are better than the odds of needing a gun to protect
myself on the AT.  The bear story quoted as justification for carrying a
gun is the one and only incident of it's type I've heard of in the Eastern
US in the last, what did they say, 100 years?  If I used that potential use
as a criteria for bringing (insert whatever) along I couldn't hike for all
the junk I'd be dragging with me.  For that matter I probably couldn't find
a large enough motor home to carry it all driving to Maine.

Two or three years ago I read an article (Backpacker magazine) about bear
country (Griz type) and there were several tales that rangers told about
people who were killed by bears including those who carried guns.  Unless
you have a big enough gun, you see the bear coming in time, you can get the
gun out and are a good enough shot... well, the endings weren't pretty.

Life is full of uncertainty.  We can't be prepared for absolutely
everything in the sense of having the proper equipment, tools, whatever at
hand exactly when needed.  The point is to be prepared for reasonably
foreseeable problems and use our wits for the rest.  Those who aren't
willing to deal with those odds should consider never leaving their houses.

sAunTerer