Re [at-l] thru-hiking with a dog

Billie Creek wrote:

>I'm just curious what you're referring to when you say "water supplies"
>Do you mean streams? I understand not washing dishes in streams, but I
>simply don't understand the logic behind trying to keep a dog out of =
the
>stream, let alone feet...

I think what I mean is that part of a stream where you take out your
drinking water.

Consider two situations:  a very small stream or pool in a stream where
there is not much room.  This would be more like a spring with an =
outlet.
Hard to see where a dog would go here.

A large stream or small river is different.  In that case activities =
like
swimming or dog play is fine as long as it's down stream from the point
where campers would get their water.  There are of course a continuum of
situations in between.  The main point I would think would be to keep =
the
dog away from the area where people draw their water.

I for one enjoy a dip or a swim, but I would try to do it in a large =
enough
stream and certainly downstream from where people get water.  The more =
rapid
the stream the better too, since the aeration helps to clean the water.

It's not so much that I expect to get some doggie disease - I doubt I =
would.
It's partly esthetic - sort of like seeing garbage from dish washing =
where
you dip in to get your water.

I'm sure it's doable. And it's good to talk about it now rather than =
after
you get on the trail.  As long as you've though it out and have some
solutions to the potential for issues, you can succeed.  Good luck.

But in answer to your thought, yes, there is definite logic in keeping =
bodies or feet (human or dog) out of the drinking water supply.

Pb

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---