From: Ron Winchester [mailto:winchester@unnet.com]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 11:40 PM
To: Phil Heffington
Subject: Re: [at-l] "Strange" pack items

My favorite wasn't on the AT, but at Pictured Rocks on Lake Superior.  We'd
been hiking the shoreline trail and had settled in at Mosquito Falls
Campground early in the day - it's just a great spot!  It was fall and there
wasn't anyone else around - for a while anyway.  This guy hikes in with his
kid about mid day and sets up an 8x10 canvas cabin tent, and drops a
case(count 'em - 24) of Bud in the stream, then he hikes back toward the
parking area - about 3 miles.  He returns, yelling at his kid, with 4 cases
of Campbells soup, and Chef Boyardee's and stuff like that, he leaves again
for the parking area and gets back about dark with a double burner coleman
stove, lantern and the rest of his camping stuff. I figure he must've hiked
18 miles back and forth. They eat dinner, and he lights a big friggin'
blazer which he feeds all night.  Mosquito is a no fire zone.
It was pretty bizarre.

Ron